Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What She Taught Me About Life

My grandmother grew up in the rural South in the early part of the 20th century.   She was born in 1915, before women even had the right to vote. She had to quit school in the fourth grade to help raise her four younger brothers and help her father in the fields.  Despite her lack of formal education, she was one of the smartest people I have ever known.

When I was growing up I spent almost as much time with my grandmother as I did with my parents.  My father worked in the oilfields and was sometimes gone for weeks at a time.  My mother worked a full time job Monday through Friday, so I spent the majority of my days with Mawmaw.  She had a tiny house, a less than ideal marriage, and a difficult life in general.  Yet, she had a lot of faith, gave a ton of love, and made the best out of everything she did have.   

I have been married twice, have had two children, and have graduated from college.  Yet, the older I get, the more I realize how much I learned from her.  In fact, I find that the older I get, the more I act like her, as my mother (her daughter) loves to remind me.  I lost her many years ago, and with every year that passes i realize that if I am half of the woman she was, I will be a success as a mother, a grandmother, and a human being.  

Though inspired by her, this blog is not just about my grandmother.  One important thing that she taught me was that everyone comes into our lives for a reason. Therefore, I will also be reminiscing about other colorful characters from my life who have had a significant impact on me or who have just amused the hell out of me. I think that others will be amused as well, especially by some of my rather "special" extended family members. I'll share stories, recipes and even my new glorious adventures as a first time grandmother.  

I am at a difficult point in my life.  I have many health problems, Empty Nest Syndrome and other issues that are are forcing me to find not only ways to pass the time, but also ways to find new purpose in my life.  This blog will document that journey.  I will use lessons that my beloved grandmother, and a few others,  taught me about family, friends, food, and life in general to find a renewed sense of fulfillment and purpose.  I hope that you will join me on my journey.  

LOVE, PEACE, & HAPPINESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment